Khushi, 18 month old female mixed breed neutered stray, with history of Chronic Vomiting in dogs was presented at PASHA wing soon after eating and further diagnostics and treatment were done
Khushi was being treated for chronic vomiting with standard I/v fluids, antibiotics, anti-emetics, antacids and supportive.
Mega-oesophagus, foreign body.
A plain X-ray followed by a barium meal X-ray of the thoracic region was performed, and radio-opaque foreign body at the caudal end of the oesophagus was visualised.
Loss of body mass, pale mucous membranes and dehydration were present. A basic blood test for CBC and biochemistry was performed and I/v fluids were administered along with supportive medication. The patient was able to keep down a clear liquid diet without vomiting.
Explorative endoscopy was performed under general anaesthesia using isoflurane gaseous anaesthesia which detected the case of esophageal Obstruction in Dogs. The caudal oesophageal foreign body was visualised and retrieved. The foreign body mostly consisted of chicken bones and undigested food particles lodged in the oesophagus. The patient recovered from the procedure uneventfully. Follow-up treatment with gastric protectants, antacids, antibiotics and support was prescribed.
Advice: Refrain from feeding bones to pets and strays as they can easily splinter and get lodged in the oesophagus or gastric mucosa, leading to obstruction, and perforation.